The Bakehouse Theatre is situated at 255 Angas Street, Adelaide (corner of Angas and Cardwell Streets). This is the east end of Angas Street, one block from the popular restaurant strip in Hutt Street, just down the road from The Seven Stars hotel in Angas Street and a 10 min walk from the East Parklands which are home to the "Garden of Unearthly Delights" during the Adelaide Fringe.
At the Bakehouse you will find a wide variety of shows running all year round.
(Summary of information for both theatres below. Click on the names of each theatre for more detailed information, descriptions, photos, layouts, technical equipment etc.)
A charming, intimate theatre space which seats 87 audience members on raked seating which looks down on the flat floor performance space. The performance space itself is a "black box" style of stage. There are no fixed sets, curtains or backdrops of any kind. (except during the Fringe when there is a curtain across the back of the stage for ease of storage). There are two exits and entrances for actors on each side of the performance space.
1. Audience capacity: 88.
2. Fully licensed bar in friendly foyer (drinks may be taken into the theatre)
3. Air conditioned.
4. Performance Space - "black box" style 7 metres X 7 metres.
5. Modern Digital Lighting System run by computer using "PC Stage" software
6. Full sound system.
7. Please read the document "Standard Conditions of Hire" (scroll down to attachments below and download it) BEFORE asking any further questions. This document takes the place of a contract which you will need to sign before hiring the theatre.
8. For more detailed information the space and to download layouts, photos etc. please click HERE.
The Bakehouse Studio Theatre was opened for The Adelaide Fringe 2009. Since then it has had extensive improvements each year, including reverse-cycle airconditioning, new seating, 3 phase power outlets, and lots more.
A more intimate theatre, it holds 40 audience members and could be said to be the equivalent of the Fringe all year round. The Studio Theatre is suitable for plays that require a smaller number of actors, usually with minimal sets. It is also particularly suitable for one man shows or stand up comedy.
In 2012 it will become home to an exciting new project called "Black Box @ The Bakehouse".
1. Whole room measurement is 10.6 metres long by 4.5 metres wide.
2. It is a "black box" theatre with no "wings" or curtains on stage
3. Actors have two entrances stage right. One of these will bring actors on to the backstage area, and one to the downstage area.
4. Audience enter the building from the front door on Angas St, and then the theatre from a hallway, which is the same as the downstage entrance for actors.
5. Audience seating is 39 fixed seats, with the ability to add 2 more non-fixed chairs. All except the first two rows are raked.
6. Stage is 600mm high, 4700mm wide and 3600mm deep.
7. The bio box is situated behind the back row of the audience approx 1200mm high
8. We have a new 3 phase power system which is used in conjunction with PC Stage software. This runs both sound and lighting.
9. The space is fully equipped with reverse cycle air conditioning and with ceiling fans
10. The Studio Theatre now has its own fully licensed foyer and drinks may be taken into the theatre itself.
********THE ATTACHMENTS ENTITLED "STANDARD HIRE CONDITIONS" AND "BUMP-IN, BUMP-OUT PROCEDURES" (below) WILL CONSTITUTE YOUR HIRE AGREEMENT. THEY MUST BE READ THOROUGHLY AND SIGNED BEFORE YOU HIRE THE THEATRE**************